Saturday, January 29, 2011

Because I Can't Keep my Big Mouth Shut

As an end of week / pay day treat I pottered off to my fave massage place in Castlereagh street. Sure, it's not a fancy pants beautician but it's el chepo and tres amaze.


Most people get a massage to relax and unwind. My neighbour in the cubicle next to me? Not so much. Apparently, he was there for a sexist deep and meaningful with his unwilling masseuse.... His ignorant slurs went a little something like this -


"Gosh it must be boring be a masseuse? Touching people's bodies all day. Just awful.... Did you learn how to give botox in beauty school? No? Well you should have, it's a skill you need to know. Ladies look great with it and they love it. It pays very well too."


I held my tongue and resisted the urge to jump through the curtain and punch him. I wanted to shout, "cosmetic surgery isn't taught in beauty school. It's a medical procedure you fuckwit! And no, not all women love it." Surely he knew we could all hear him? But I finally lost it when he dropped this bomb.


"You know, you don't have to be a full time masseuse. You could do this one day week and do something else. Lots of women do men's jobs these day. Pretty crazy. Like truck drivers and business men, women can do that too..."


The tone of his voice was almost in shock and disgust. I'd put up with his ill informed rantings for 15 minutes. That was it. 


ME: OF COURSE WOMEN CAN DO MEN'S JOBS. IT'S GREAT! WE CAN DO WHATEVER JOBS WE WANT.


Uncontained giggles filtered through from the surrounding customers and workers. My dear masseuse lent over and whispered in my ear, "this guy is an idiot. Thank you!" Mr living-in-the-1800's didn't say anything after that and I enjoyed the rest of my massage in peace and quiet.


Women can do men's jobs? NO WAYSIES???

3 comments:

  1. Great. LOVE that!
    love nelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD!!
    good on you bella!! what a little terror! imagine his poor mother/wife/sister having to put up with that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say whaaat? When could womenz do menz jobz?

    This whole time I've been thinking they were just effeminate men, now you tell me they're actually womenz?

    Next you'll tell me the easter bunny isn't real and that bunnies don't lay chocolate eggs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...