Saturday, December 4, 2010

Boyfriends and Girlfriends

I've always been fascinated with relationships. As a kid, I would couple watch with my dad. When we saw two people being affectionate we could coo "boooooooooooyfriend and giiiiiiiiiiiiirlfiend" in gushy voices. It was one of my favourite games. So it kind of makes sense that I ended up working in mags and hopefully one day, writing about 'boyfriends and girlfriends' and the like. You can tell it's rubbed off on you when you start to live your life by cover lines, i.e. "yeah I like him, he's not WOW but good for now." Those words have actually come out of my mouth. Shame on me. 


Last night, on the bus there were two sets of couples. Couple A were actually adorable, and I rarely say that. I seriously couldn't stop watching them. They were whispering sweet nothings in each other's ears, giggling and playing. They were just so happy it was infectious. I KNOW? What the hell is wrong with me? Pass the spew bucket please. But there was something about them that just made me want to be adopted as their child. Their happiness was inspiring. 


Couple B were the polar opposite. They had nothing to say to each other and were sitting in uncomfortable silence, occasionally bickering. She was dressed to the nines in a lavender purple gown, him in his matching lavender tie. Probably off to some corporate Christmas party and about to put on happy faces. 


Although these are only two quick snap shots, and not a fair comparison - who knows how long the couples had been together? I don't think you should ever settle for the Couple B scenario. You should always be with someone who brings out the best in you, someone who gives you butterflies, someone you bounce off, someone you spark with - even on painful public transport. 


Ps. Sorry I couldn't use a cute picture to accompany this post. Let's just say not the most G-rated things pop up when you type 'boyfriends and girlfriends' into Google images. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...