Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Jerk Watch 2010

It's been a long time since I've encountered any momentous jerks worthy of a rant. Which is good. But sadly, the jerk drought has been broken. I feel like I should rename this post INSENSITIVE, UN-FUNNY, DICK-HEAD Watch 2010.

I debated whether or not I should even write about this because it is so upsetting, but I think it's important to show how stupid some, un-named, chest shaving people can be.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Last year there was a Facebook campaign where you make your status the colour of the bra you were wearing at that very moment. This year's game is about where you like to put your handbag when you get home. For example, "I like it on the sofa", "I like it on the kitchen counter", "I like it on the dresser". It's a quirky, cheeky online campaign that generates positive PR and increases awareness. It was a big success last year and even received media coverage.

An un-named acquaintance thought it would be hilarious to update his status to - "No one cares about breast cancer awareness and titty killing diseases!"

How can anyone in their right mind think this is ok? What a fucking sick bastard. I'm not sure if anyone in his family has been affected by breast cancer, but I'm sure if a loved one had experienced it, he definitely would think twice about writing such an ignorant post. It's infuriating.

People honestly don't think sometimes. All for the glory of a 'funny' joke, or status update. I recently got into a fight with a washed-up, thirty something year old Pommy who ran our hostel in Ios. He had no direction in life, wore fluro pink and green clothes, had dyed-blonde spikes with a Donatella Versace tan (enough said). He strutted around the hostel thinking he was God's gift and tried to impress travellers by telling his pitiful, rehearsed jokes.

One of which was -

Q: What do four out of five people enjoy?
A: Gang rape.

I heard him recycle this joke several times, to different people. I finally exploded.

ME: You shouldn't tell jokes like that. It's awful.

HIM: Why? You Aussies are so uptight.

ME: I'm not uptight, It's just not funny. You never know , you might tell that joke to someone whose life has been affected by rape. Would you be telling that joke if your mother or sister had experienced a trauma like that?

HIM: ........ silence ...... Then I 'spose you don't want to hear any of my domestic violence jokes?

I stormed off in a ball of rage. The guy was an absolute douche and had obviously fried too many brain cells in the sun to understand and I think Mr Facebook has shaved off too many chest hairs to have a firm grasp of reality.

3 comments:

  1. at the risk of being labelled a jerk, breast cancer awareness IS a bit over the top though. how much awareness do we need? is 'awareness' going to solve the problem of breast cancer? lung cancer kills more women, but has nowhere near the marketing campaign. is changing your status really achieving anything other than preaching to an already 'awareness' saturated target audience? I know people mean well but its such an obtuse goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awful but from an advertising point of view certain cancers are more 'marketable' than others. It would be hard to get any momentum behind an online lung cancer awareness campaign because it's stigmatised as a 'smoker's disease' - way less sympathy associated with lung cancer than breast. Ovarian cancer is also another hard one because there are hardly any survivors to champion it.

    Perhaps breast cancer does get the most attention - it's certainly the one with the most celebrity backing (Christina Applegate, Kylie, Olivia Newton John etc)

    I think her main point though is regardless of how successful a campaign is, or which cancer gets the most media coverage, people shouldn't write such nasty things. That guy should be humiliated.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...