You know you're Indie* when:
- You do the top button up of your flanny shirt.
- You ride a fixie bike.
- You live in Newtown.
- You read Penguin Classic books.
- You have a vast collection of old school band t-shirts (remember what Indie used to be all about? Music!)
- You sport a mohawk, under cut, pony tail or some other trendy do.
- You are an aspiring artist of some description, or work in new media.
- You wear black rimmed glasses (regardless of the fact you don't even have a prescription).
- You have more skinny leg jeans than your girlfriend.
- You have more cardigans than your Nan.
- You only attend festivals like Laneway, Splendour or Falls, and even they are still too mainstream. Intimate gigs are more preferable. Underground synth music is also a fave.
- You know things are cool weeks before they become popular.
- Words like dope, rad, killer and dude punctuate your sentences.
- You have an SLR camera and dabble in photography.
- And the final way to complete the ruse? Maybe actually have some music knowledge. Or look like you do. Reading street press mags like The Brag, Drum Media or spending a bit of skrilla on Rolling Stone should do the job.
* Anyone can fake being Indie, the true species are so cool, they don't even know it.