Sunday, May 9, 2010

What Does 'in a relationship' on Facebook Even Mean?

On Facebook, you can be engaged to your best mate (a personal pet hate of mine. Sorry Faen I love you dearly but I just couldn't bring myself to being your online fiancée), in a relationship, in an open relationship, in a complicated relationship, widowed or married... So how do we know what's real and what's fake? How do we know if someone genuinely is in a serious relationship? It's been pissing me off, lately I've met a few people who act single in real life and then when you do the old Facebook add their relationship status tells a different story. It does my head in.


Another creepy thing in this age of information-over-share is the fact that The Interweb can tell you your friends have broken up before you even speak to them. It always saddens me to see that little broken heart in my news feed. Another one bites the dust, and it's being broadcast to hundreds of people.



Last night at dinner, we were saying how weird our 5 year reunion is going to be because thanks to Facebook we literally already know what's going on in everyone's lives. It's always kind of weird when you bump into someone you haven't seen in a while and you both have morsels of information you've gathered from Facebook stalking. And I never know how much to confess knowing about someone? Sometimes I'm straight up and say "oh, I saw you got that new job congratulations!" But then sometimes it's nice to actually let them talk about their own lives! I don't know if all of this is good or bad? I'm thinking the latter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...